The St. Louis Cardinals are one of the most successful teams in baseball history, with 11 World Series championships and 19 National League pennants. As any fan knows, there’s a lot that goes into making a team as successful as the Cardinals. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the behind-the-scenes secrets that make the Cardinals one of the best teams in baseball. So read on if you’re curious to know what makes this team so special!
1. The team has had some legendary players over the years, including Stan Musial, Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson, and Lou Brock. They are all members of the Baseball Hall of Fame and have led the Cardinals too many World Series titles.
2. In 2011, Albert Pujols became the first St. Louis Cardinal to win three MVP awards in a row since Stan Musial in 1948, 1949, and 1950.
3. The St. Louis Cardinals were one of eight National League teams that founded Major League Baseball in 1876 as part of the National Agreement with the American Association.
4. The Cardinals won 11 World Series championships—second only to the New York Yankees’ 27 wins — and have won more National League pennants than any other team in the NL. The Cardinals also hold the single-season record for most wins — with 106 in 1944.
5. The Cardinals also have a great rivalry with their divisional rivals, the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers, which has been called one of baseball’s best rivalries by ESPN and other sources.
6. Busch Stadium is the home of the St. Louis Cardinals and is located in downtown St. Louis, Missouri on Clark Avenue.. It opened in 2006 at a cost of $365 million and can seat over 46,000 people for each game.
7. On April 4th, 2017, former Cardinals pitcher Bob Gibson was honored with a statue outside of Busch Stadium. The statue was unveiled in front of thousands of fans who honored the great pitcher’s legacy with the team.
8. The St. Louis Cardinals were also one of only two teams to never have an African-American player on their roster before Jackie Robinson broke baseball’s color barrier in 1947 — the other being the Boston Red Sox.
9. The Cardinals have a long and successful history in Minor League Baseball, including 4 championship titles and 24 players that made it to Major League Baseball via their farm system. They are currently affiliated with 8 minor league teams across all levels of play, from Rookie ball to Triple-A.
10. The St Louis Cardinals mascot is “Fredbird”. He is a large, red cardinal that has been around since 1979. He can often be seen at home games and other events throughout the city. Fredbird also makes appearances at schools and hospitals to bring joy to kids of all ages.
11. The St Louis Cardinals were the first ever professional sports team in the state of Missouri, preceding even the Kansas City Chiefs by more than 50 years. They are an integral part of St Louis history, culture, and identity and will likely remain so for many years to come.