The Deftones are one of the most successful and well-known alternative metal bands of all time. They’ve released eight studio albums, sold millions of records, and completed dozens of world tours. So what is it that makes them so great? Here are ten secrets about the Deftones that you may not know.
1. The Deftones have been together for over two decades, having formed in 1988. They are one of the most well-known and influential bands from Sacramento, California’s hard rock scene. Their sound has evolved over time, incorporating elements of metal, punk, alternative rock, and hip-hop into their music.
2. Singer Chino Moreno has been involved in several side projects while touring with The Deftones since 2000. He has worked with Team Sleep, Crosses (†††), Palms, and Saudade among others.
3. Stephen Carpenter is a self-taught guitar player who inspired several musical styles including nu-metal and progressive metal during the late 90s and early 2000s with his use of seven-string guitars.
4. The Deftones were one of the first bands to combine metalcore, alternative rock, and some elements of hip-hop music in their sound. This mixture of styles has been imitated by many other acts that followed them.
5. The Deftones have earned numerous awards over the years including two Grammy Awards for their song ‘Elite’ and an MTV Video Music Award for Best Rock Video in 2000, among others. They have also been nominated for several more awards throughout the years. Their loyal fan base continues to expand worldwide, with no signs of slowing down anytime soon!
6. The Deftones have released eight studio albums, the most recent being 2016’s Gore. They are currently working on their ninth album which is expected to be released sometime in 2021.
7. The Deftones have recently partnered with some of the music industry’s biggest names such as Apple Music, Spotify, and Warner Music Group for exclusive content releases, new merchandise, and more! Fans can also watch a documentary about the band that will be released soon.
8. The Deftones are active on social media channels such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook where they regularly interact with fans worldwide. Their official website provides further news updates and tour dates throughout the year. This makes it easy for fans to stay connected and up-to-date with the band.
9. The Deftones are a critically acclaimed act, having been praised by Rolling Stone Magazine stated that they ‘combined metal’s aggression and punk’s energy with hip hop’s rhythmic sensibility. They have also been featured in various documentaries such as Reclaiming the Blade and The Music Scene. Furthermore, their music has been used in several video games, films, and television shows. This is just another example of how far their influence extends!
10. In 2017, The Deftones released the critically acclaimed Gore album which features some of their heaviest songs to date, including singles “Prayers/Triangles” and “Phantom Bride”. It is considered one of the band’s most diverse releases with a wide range of musical styles. The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart, becoming the band’s highest-charting effort yet.
Bonus Fact: 11. The Deftones released their first EP back in 1996, titled “Headup” featuring four songs that showcased their talent and set them up for their future success. It was considered one of the best EPs of the year by many publications and helped further establish the group as an important part of modern metal music.