Tegan And Sara’s music and activism continues to inspire millions around the world, making them one of the most successful musical acts in Canada. Whether you’re a fan of their music or an admirer of their philanthropy, there is no doubt that they have made an incredible impact on pop culture over the past two decades.
1. Tegan and Sara released their first album in 1999, entitled Under Feet Like Ours. Despite its success, they had to wait until 2004 for the breakthrough with the release of So Jealous. It featured two singles that made it into the Top 10 on the Canadian Singles Chart, furthering their reach and gaining them airplay worldwide.
2. In 2009, Tegan and Sara became part of President Obama’s official inaugural celebration, performing at the We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration At The Lincoln Memorial event. They also composed a song in honour of the occasion called, “I Run Empty”.
3. In 2010, they collaborated with comedian and director Ben Stiller on a campaign to raise awareness about world poverty and the global water crisis.
4. Tegan and Sara released their seventh studio album Heartthrob in 2013 which debuted at number 3 on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling over 50,000 copies within its first week of release – making it their highest-charting album to date. This was followed by Love You To Death (2016), Hey I’m Just Like You (2019) and most recently, their 2020 studio album, Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness.
5. Tegan and Sara’s music has featured in multiple films and television shows over the years, including The Lego Movie, The Vampire Diaries, Grey’s Anatomy and Gossip Girl. They have also contributed songs to several soundtracks for movies such as Love Actually (2003) and My Sister’s Keeper (2009).
6. In 2013, they were presented with the first ever Key to the City of Calgary. This was in recognition of their contribution to music but also for their commitment to social activism and dedication to supporting charities both locally and internationally.
7. Tegan and Sara have won numerous awards, including four Juno Awards (Canadian Music Industry’s highest honour) and two GLAAD Media Awards for promoting gay rights through their work. In 2019, they received a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame in Toronto.
8. Tegan has often cited her love of science fiction as one of her major influences when it comes to songwriting – her favourite books being Dune by Frank Herbert, The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
9. Sara has been a major advocate for animal rights, with her and Tegan both receiving PETA’s Linda Blair Worldheart Animal Angel Award in 2015 for their work in helping to protect animals. She is also an avid collector of vintage cameras and frequently posts photos taken with them on Instagram.
10. Tegan and Sara have a unique way of writing songs. The sisters prefer to write individually, which has resulted in some very successful collaborations. They’ve worked with the likes of Taylor Swift, Tiesto and Deadmau5 on their albums “Heartthrob” and “Love You To Death” respectively.
11. Despite being twin sisters, they don’t always agree on everything musically. Both have different tastes in music, but when it comes to making music together, they create a powerful synergy that makes for some great tunes.
12. Tegan and Sara also bring their own style to every performance — from costumes to choreography to set design — making each concert an unforgettable experience for their fans.
13. The duo are passionate about social justice, and use their platform to raise awareness of LGBTQ+ rights and other humanitarian causes that they care deeply about.
14. Tegan and Sara have released a total of nine studio albums over the course of their career, which have received much critical acclaim from fans and critics alike. They’ve also won several awards for their work, including two JUNO Awards in Canada as well as multiple Grammy nominations in the US. Their music continues to capture hearts around the world with its unique sound and passion-filled lyrics.
15. Tegan and Sara’s music has been featured in TV shows, movies and video games. The duo’s songs have been used in hit television series such as Grey’s Anatomy, Parenthood, and Gossip Girl. Additionally they have had their tracks featured in the popular video game Rock Band and the movie The Lego Movie.
16. They are also advocates for LGBTQ+ rights, animal welfare and human rights. In 2019, they launched the Tegan And Sara Foundation which is dedicated to advancing social change for young women who identify as LGBTQ+. Their foundation seeks to reduce inequality by tackling issues related to sexual identity, gender identity and expression through education, support programs and policy advocacy. Furthermore, they are a strong voice for animal rights and have been involved in campaigns to raise awareness of the plight of endangered species. They are also committed to supporting human rights initiatives, such as Amnesty International and The Body Shop’s Human Rights Campaign.