Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, commonly known as Real Madrid, or simply as Real, is a professional football club based in Madrid, Spain. The club was formed in 1902 as Madrid Football Club, and played its first official game in November 1902. Madrid won the 1957–58 European Cup, which was their first international title. The club played its first ever competitive match in 1902 against Arenas Club de Getxo.
Real Madrid also reached the final of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1962 which they played against Eintracht Frankfurt but lost 2–1. Winners of the European Cup in 1974 and 1986, they reached the competition’s final for the third time in 2005, becoming the first club ever to do so. They also became the first team to retain their European crown by winning their fourth title in the 2007–08 season. They also lifted the Spanish Cup in 1957 and 2007. The Liga championship titles in 1936, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2016 and 2017. With their first professional club kit supplied by Adidas.
Real Madrid has long been considered one of the world’s most successful clubs. In international football, they have won a record 26 trophies: a joint-record 11 European Cups/Champions Leagues; two UEFA Cups; three Intercontinental Cups; and one FIFA Club World Cup. They have also won a record 33 La Liga titles, 19 Copa del Rey, 10 Supercopa de España, one Copa Eva Duarte and one Copa de la Liga. In terms of international club football, they have been crowned champions of Europe a record 13 times by winning the European Cup/Champions League nine times and the UEFA Cup three times. They hold the record for most consecutive appearances in the competition, playing in 21 editions from 1955–56 to 1976–77. They have also reached the final of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup three times, lifting the trophy twice. The other trophy they have lifted is the Latin Cup, which they won in 1957.
The following are what we believe to be Real Madrid’s Top 10 Secrets:
1. The name “Real Madrid” was given to the club by King Alfonso XIII in 1920.
2. The club’s crest has changed a total of seven times, with the current one being introduced in 1902.
3. Real Madrid is the only football club to have never been relegated from La Liga.
4. The Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, which is the home of Real Madrid, has a capacity of 81,044 people.
5. The club’s official anthem is “Hala Madrid”, which was written by Antonio Fernández Reznicek and first played in 1944.
6. Real Madrid has a total of 24 players who have been inducted into the Spanish Football Hall of Fame.
7. The club has produced a total of 12 Ballon d’Or winners, which is more than any other team in the world.
8. In 2014, Forbes ranked Real Madrid as the world’s most valuable sports team, with an estimated value of $3.26 billion.
9. The club’s record victory came in 1931 when they beat Athletic Bilbao 11-1 in a La Liga match.
10. Real Madrid is the most successful club in European Cup/Champions League history, having won the competition a record 13 times.