There’s no need to be green with envy on St. Patrick’s Day – here are 20 great ideas for a festive and fun dinner party!
1. Corned beef and cabbage: This is an Irish classic, and it’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Serve it with boiled potatoes and carrots for a complete meal.
2. Shepherd’s pie: Another traditional Irish dish, shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb or mutton and topped with mashed potatoes. It’s hearty and filling – perfect for a winter evening feast.
3. Bangers and mash: Sausages and mashed potatoes are a classic English dish, but they’re just as popular in Ireland. Add some onion gravy for extra flavor.
4. Irish stew: This simple and hearty stew is made with lamb or mutton, potatoes, carrots, and onions. It’s perfect for a chilly winter night.
5. Beef and Guinness pie: A savory pie made with beef and Guinness stout is the perfect dish for St. Patrick’s Day. Serve it with a side of roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
6. Potato leek soup: This creamy soup is perfect for a chilly evening – and it’s easy to make too. Just cook the potatoes, leeks, and stock together until tender, then blend until smooth.
7. Colcannon: This traditional Irish dish is made with mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage. It’s simple, but it’s flavourful and satisfying.
8. Cottage pie: This is a British dish that’s similar to shepherd’s pie, but it uses beef instead of lamb. It’s topped with mashed potatoes and baked until golden brown.
9. Fish and chips: This classic English dish is just as popular in Ireland as it is in the UK. Serve it with tartar sauce, malt vinegar, and a side of fries for a delicious meal.
10. Dublin coddle: This traditional Irish stew is made with bacon, sausage, potatoes, onions, and rashers (thin slices of bacon). It’s hearty and filling – perfect for a winter evening meal.
11. Soda bread: This simple bread is made with flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. It’s perfect for dunking into a bowl of soup or stew.
12. Boxty: This Irish potato pancake is made with grated potatoes, flour, baking powder, and salt. It’s easy to make, and it’s perfect for a St. Patrick’s Day feast.
13. Black pudding: This traditional Irish dish is made with pork blood, oats, barley, and suet. It might not be the prettiest dish on the table, but it’s definitely delicious.
14. Carrot and parsnip soup: This creamy soup is made with carrots, parsnips, onion, celery, and stock. It’s perfect for a chilly evening – and it’s healthy too.
15. Beef and barley soup: This hearty soup is made with beef, barley, carrots, celery, onions, and stock. It’s the perfect meal for a cold winter night.
16. Apple crumble: This classic English dessert is just as popular in Ireland as it is in the UK. It’s made with apples, flour, sugar, butter, and cinnamon – and it’s best served with a scoop of ice cream.
17. Banoffee pie: This delicious dessert is made with bananas, toffee sauce, whipped cream, and digestive biscuits. It’s sure to please all of your guests on St. Patrick’s Day.
18. Irish coffee: This classic coffee drink is made with Irish whiskey, coffee, sugar, and cream. It’s the perfect way to warm up on a chilly evening.
19. Bailey’s ice cream: This creamy ice cream is made with Baileys Irish Cream, eggs, sugar, and cream. It’s the perfect dessert for a festive St. Patrick’s Day party.
20. Green beer: This festive drink is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day – it’s made with beer, green food coloring, and lime juice. Add a few shots of Irish whiskey for an extra kick.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Whether you’re celebrating at home or out on the town, be sure to enjoy one of these delicious Irish dishes. From shepherd’s pie to black pudding, there’s something for everyone. Sláinte!