When most people think of St. Patrick’s day, they think of green clothing. This is not surprising, as the color has been associated with the holiday for centuries. What many people don’t know, however, is that the tradition of wearing green on St. Patrick’s day actually began as a way to avoid getting pinched by others.
The legend goes that St. Patrick used a shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to Protestants and, in order to avoid being pinch by disbelievers, Irishmen started wearing green clothes on March 17th. While history may be a bit murky, there’s no doubt that green has become the defining color of the holiday.
The Best Ideas For St Patrick’s Day Costumes
1) Leprechaun – This is probably the most popular St. Patrick’s Day costume choice. You can dress up as a leprechaun by wearing a green suit with gold trim, and adding some accessories like a hat, beard, or pipe.
2) Shamrock – A shamrock is another easy St. Patrick’s Day costume to put together. Just wear green clothes and pin three shamrocks to your clothing.
3) Rainbow – A rainbow is a great option for those who want to go all out on their St. Patrick’s Day costume. Wear lots of colorful clothes and accessories, and you’ll be sure to stand out.
4) Irish dancer – If you’re feeling creative, why not dress up as an Irish dancer? All you need is a green skirt and top, and some accessories like a tiara or shamrock headband.
5) Leprechaun trap – If you really want to get into the St. Patrick’s Day spirit, dress up as a leprechaun trap. You can make your own costume using cardboard, paint, and other materials, or buy one online.
6) Clover – A clover is another simple St. Patrick’s Day costume idea. Just wear green clothes and attach four clovers to your clothing.
7) Beer mug – Another easy option is to dress up as a beer mug. Wear a white shirt and attach a large green foam beer mug to the front.
8) Irish flag – If you want to go patriotic on St. Patrick’s Day, dress up as the Irish flag. Just wear a green shirt and white pants, and use fabric or paint to create the flag’s design.
9) Pot of gold – A pot of gold is another simple but effective St. Patrick’s Day costume idea. Dress up in all black and carry a large golden pot around with you.
10) Leprechaun hat – If you don’t want to go too crazy with your costume, simply dress up in a leprechaun hat. You can find these hats online or at most costume stores.
11) Green wig – A green wig is a quick and easy way to add some color to your St. Patrick’s Day costume. You can find wigs in all different shades of green, so pick the one that best suits you.
12) Lucky Charms – If you want to dress up as a character from St. Patrick’s Day lore, why not go as Lucky Charms? All you need is a striped shirt and pants, and some props like a pot of gold or leprechaun hat.
13) Rainbow Brite – Another colorful option is to dress up as Rainbow Brite. She was a popular cartoon character from the 1980s, and her bright colors would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day.
14) Erin Go Braugh – If you want to be a bit more serious with your St. Patrick’s Day costume, why not dress up as Erin Go Braugh? This is the Irish national anthem, and there are plenty of costumes available online.
15) Saint Patrick – Of course, you could always dress up as Saint Patrick himself. There are lots of different versions of this costume available online, so you can choose the one that best suits you.
16) Pot of gold hunter – A pot of gold hunter is another fun St. Patrick’s Day costume idea. You can dress up in all green, or wear a raincoat and carry an umbrella to complete the look.
17) Leprechaun hunter – If you’d rather go after the leprechauns, dress up as a leprechaun hunter. You can find all sorts of costumes and accessories online, so you can create your own unique look.
18) Paddy – Paddy is another fun St. Patrick’s Day character to dress up as. He’s a leprechaun who loves to drink, and there are lots of fun costumes and accessories available online.
19) Irish rocker – If you want to be a bit more current with your St. Patrick’s Day costume, why not dress up as an Irish rocker? This could involve dressing up as a musician like Bono or as a character from the popular TV show “ Sons of Anarchy .”
20) Pot of gold thief – Lastly, you could dress up as a pot of gold thief. This is a simple but effective costume that can be made using things you probably have around your house.
With so many great costume ideas to choose from, there’s no excuse not to dress up on St. Patrick’s Day! So get creative and have fun with your outfit. Whether you want to go all out or keep it simple, there’s a perfect costume for you. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!